The legal paperwork

Marriages performed in compliance with the laws of the Dominican Republic are recognized in Canada. Prior to your trip, you should verify with the Dominican authorities that you have all of your documentation. You’ll need your passport, tourist card, long-form birth certificate (that includes your parent’s names), as well as a sworn affidavit attesting to your single status (which you can get from a notary public). If you are divorced, you must also have original copies of your divorce papers and if you are widowed, you will need an original copy of the death certificate of your deceased spouse. If you have legally changed your name, you must submit original documents that support the change. Prior to departure, all of these documents must be translated into Spanish, legally certified, and legalized by the Embassy or one of the consulates of the Dominican Republic in Canada. You’ll also need two witnesses. If your witnesses are not Dominican citizens, they must provide their entry visa or a tourist card, passports and another form of picture ID as well. Hotels can often provide witnesses if you are eloping. Note that under Dominican law, women who have recently been divorced must wait

Article source: